As human beings, we are hardwired to automatically think about survival mode. We naturally want to make sure everything is “perfect”, and this can affect our mental health and the way that we think. Whether it be that you have a demanding job and you must satisfy your deadlines, you’re a busy parent trying to tend to your kids all day, or maybe even a student striving to make the principals list, when do you have the time to think about YOU?
In the center of all the madness, it can be hard to see our thoughts. It’s so easy to forget our interests, dreams, hobbies, etc. that we completely put them behind us. Now is the time to start making yourself a priority. Keep reading this post if you want to find out tips on how and why it’s important to make yourself a priority.
Why it’s important to make yourself a priority
For us to thrive in all aspects of our life its imperative that we feel our best mentally and physically. That is what gives us the natural drive and motivation to not just succeed but to feel fulfilled while doing it. This way we can better do things like helping our loved ones and get our work done. It can also help reduce the feeling of lashing out when we don’t want to due to better peace of mind.
How to make yourself a priority
1. Understand that you aren’t being selfish – A big step to making yourself a priority is to understand that you shouldn’t feel selfish doing it. How we feel is extremely important, and as I mentioned earlier it affects our mental health. It’s necessary to be selfish with this. How will you be able to provide if you are drained? Doing whatever it is that you need to do, to be your best self is something that ultimately everyone needs, so you shouldn’t consider your self-care as selfless.
2. Make time for yourself – I know it’s easier said than done but you can make it work if you really want to. Of course, plan ahead if you’ll need longer time but you can start small by maybe going in a quiet room to journal, meditate or even take a nap! For example, this morning I knew I really wanted to do a quick yoga session, but my living room was already occupied with the boys. I could’ve just gone about my day annoyed with myself for not getting started the way I wanted to but instead, I chose to put my mat down in the living room anyway. I put my AirPods in and watched my session on YouTube video that way. Because I really wanted to do it, I made a way to despite the distractions. This happened to be one of the best sessions I’ve had, ever! I had a clear view of my insight for the day while getting the kinks out of my back lol.
3. Practice forgiveness – It’s better you control the situation rather than let the situation control you. Holding on to things from the past is only allowing the other person to win. Reclaim your strength and try to let the things you can’t change, go.
4. Say no when you need to – I think as adults, we can sometimes forget that we are the ones in control of our thoughts. When we learn to say no, we become more confident in our valid emotions! Sometimes for me, there’s a liberating feeling when I say not someone, despite my subconscious telling me to be a people pleaser.
5. Listen to your body – Our bodies need to be nourished to properly do their duty. Coming from a 25-year-old female who stopped taking care of her body, when I actually started listening to what my body needed, I started to feel a lot of differences in areas that I was lacking. I’m still a work in progress, but having this awareness has brought me a lot further than I would’ve been before.
6. Ask for help – I think a big part of making yourself a priority is by asking for help if you need it. There is no satisfactory result that comes from taking on everything and anything that comes your way especially if it’s consuming you. This is also a great way to build relationships with friends and family. Therapy is also another great way to seek help if you have deep issues that need exploring or maybe just a second ear. This way you’re opening your mind up to new opportunities and most importantly, a chance to breathe.
7. Love all that you are – Knowing your worth comes a long way and this only happens when you truly accept all that you are including your flaws and imperfections. It’s also important to accept where you are on your life journey to create real change and make the best decisions moving forward.
Dont be afraid to satisfy your needs in order to be a better you. Now is the time to make yourself a priority! There are tons of different ways to overall better your well-being but this is your story so you can start however which way you’d like. The point is to just do it. Life is meant to be enjoyed by all.
As always, thanks so much for reading! Questions, comments, and feedback are always welcome. If you enjoyed this post, please comment, like and share! Make sure to check out my Instagram; @tianiangela_ and my latest video on YouTube💋