Living with severe depression is not easy but it doesn’t have to be hard. While I was seriously going through it, I was letting myself deteriorate both mentally and physically. I only wanted to stay in bed. I wasn’t showering (gross.. I know), eating more, letting literally everything pile up. I realized things were going to stay the same unless I didn’t get my ass up and do something about it. Today I’m going to share a few easy ways that I thought helped me get through my depression.
- Say the D word. Say depression. Say it because that’s what it is and you can either live with it or wallow in it. I chose to live with it. Acknowledging that I had a mental illness allowed me to come up with ways to fight through it and continue to go about my day.
- Use your friends and family as a support system! When I finally learned how to open up I actually started to feel better faster. Instead of bottling everything up, I immediately picked up the phone and talked to someone about what I was feeling at that time. Tackling things head on allows you to move on to the next. One less thing to worry about right? Over time I felt such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.
- Know your issues! Break. It. Down. Start way back because that’s usually where it all began. At least for me, it did. Therapy is where I learned a lot of things about myself that I didn’t know. I strongly recommend therapy because I felt like talking to a stranger was like starting from the beginning.
- Self-love is everything. I feel my best when I’m happy with myself inside and out. Get your nails done or do your hair. Eating cleaner and drinking more water made me feel sooooooo good. I felt lighter, happier, and healthier.
- Physically get out and have a good time. You won’t regret it. It was so hard for me to want to go out and do fun things. It still kind of is but when I do I usually always have an amazing time. Laughing and talking with loved ones helped me remember why I am here on this earth. It doesn’t even have to be anywhere fancy. I appreciate a Saturday night In bed with my girlfriends watching Netflix.
- Treat yo self! *Tom Haverford voice* Do something nice for yourself. I treat myself to mani-pedis and other fun treats. It can be as little as eating a piece of chocolate!
- Recognize that this is who you are. Respect your depression. See it in a new light. A lot of people associate depression and other mental illnesses with bad things. It shouldn’t be that way because that’s a big reason why people are so afraid to speak out and get help for themselves. This is who I am and I chose to own it. I hope you do too.
Thank you for reading. I hope at least one person can take something from this. Follow my Instagram for daily posts; @t_scorner💋